Rediscovering the Past
Bob & Lynn Alligood
Tim & Brenda Barber
Ashburn Hill Plantation, for years the premier quail-hunting site in South Georgia, has reestablished itself as a country destination through a full renovation. With attention to details and a commitment to preservation, much of the original structures and facilities have been reimagined with comfort and southern style in mind.
Bob and Lynn Alligood acquired Ashburn Hill Plantation in 2009. Bob is a retired businessman who grew up in Moultrie and knew the property and its railway ties as a young man. He is proud to return to Moultrie as the new owner of Ashburn Hill Plantation.
The Alligoods and The Barbers invite you to escape the busyness of life and to join them for fun and relaxation at Ashburn Hill Plantation.
A South Georgia Legacy
William Warren Ashburn ~ 1838 - 1906
Frank Ramsey Pidcock, Sr. ~ b. 1870s
Frank Ramsey Pidcock III ~ 1932-1997
Ashburn Hill Plantation is named for William Warren Ashburn who moved from North Carolina to Georgia in the late 1800s and founded the Plantation in 1890. Mr. Ashburn was influential in promoting agriculture, banking and the railroad system in south Georgia.
Mr. Frank Ramsey Pidcock, Sr. who extended the influence of the railway system in Moultrie and south Georgia, was married to Ms. Willie Warren Ashburn, the daughter of William Ashburn. Frank was named executive vice president of the Georgia Northern Railway and forever changed the character of the Moultrie community.
Frank Ramsey Pidcock III introduced quail hunting at Ashburn Hill in 1967. The property grew in popularity by word of mouth, and most guests were repeat customers who booked the next year's quail hunt before leaving. A hunt club was established with gold pins given to those who completed 15 seasons of quail hunting at Ashburn Hill. The property has hosted everyone from U.S. Presidents to top business executives from across America.
The original Moultrie Train Depot was moved to Ashburn Hill in the spring of 1985. Next to the depot sits a 1901 Pullman car, one of only three in the world (the other two are in museums). Also at the front of the plantation is a red caboose. Both are pieces of railway history brought to the site by Frank R. Pidcock III.